Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Super Easy, Yummy Recipe!!

(I made this tonight adding some apple pie spice and it was yummy! Much like apple pie without all the peeling!)

SUPER-DUPER APPLE CAKE

Cake:
1 box white cake mix (I used a butter cake mix)
1 1/2 cups applesauce (I used unsweetened)

Glaze:
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup of milk

For Cake:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray pan with cooking spray.
Mix cake mix with applesauce until smooth. May take more or less applesauce. Use at own discretion. Pour mixture into a 9X9 inch baking pan. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until cake tests done.

For Glaze:
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add the remaining ingredients for the icing, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over warm cake.


My notes from tonight are in italics. The other notes are from the original poster.

  • The cake mix powder is mixed with applesauce ONLY, do not prepare the cake according to the directions on the box!
  • Many people poked holes in the baked cake before adding the topping. It tastes a bit different, but is not necessary. The Glaze is VERY runny, but don't worry, it's supposed to be! Make the glaze right after you put the cake in the oven. It will thicken up a little bit. I dare you to keep your fingers out of it though, it's that good!!
  • The recipe calls for a 9x9 pan, but I used a 9x13 and it was great. I've heard the 9x9 can lead to the glaze spilling.
  • I added Apple Pie Spice to my cake batter. Probably 1-2 tsps worth (just sprinkled it, didn't measure). It tasted like apple pie without all the work of actually peeling apples! We ate it with vanilla ice cream, yum!!

No comments: